Our church is beginning the process of developing a mission statement… and there’s no shortage of stuff to read on the subject. As I’ve read and considered what is being said, I’ve come to some fairly simple conclusions.
- Every believer in Christ is called to be and make disciples. That is a non-negotiable calling for the church of Jesus Christ.
- But it’s important to recognize that every group of believers is placed into its own unique time and place by the LORD.
- As well, that group is also made up of a unique mix of individuals, each one having particular gifts, experiences, and talents.
- Wisdom demands that we recognize and accept these realities as we consider God’s specific calling on a gathered group of believers.
Here’s how I’d say it in a more succinct way:
- What God intends for us to do as a church family naturally flows out 3 things:
- the time in history in which our LORD has placed us
- the location in which He’s placed us, and
- the gifts with which He’s equipped us.
This has not only been helpful for me as I endeavor to lead the church family, but also as I prayerfully develop the web ministry the LORD has recently called me into (but on more of an individual level, since it’s only me and the family right now).
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON MY SIMPLISTIC FORMULA?