Another of the billboards sponsored by a “birth control” organization. See if you can pick up the “sermon” being preached…
Message: Being a Dad – Marriage = O.K.
My thoughts on the subject:
- If it were clear that this were a married couple… I think there could be a healthy message in here someplace. But…
- The organization’s website makes marriage a “neutral” sort of choice. There’s even an article titled, “More Births Happening Outside of Marriage: What’s Right for You?”
- In that article it actually says this: “The shape and look of families is changing for all kinds of reasons – all part of the changing world in which we live. There are some things that are truly out of our control, but when and if you get pregnant is up to you and what that looks like within or out of marriage deserves serious consideration. Taking charge in our own lives is up to us.”
- Do you see the mixed message? “It’s outside your control whether you get pregnant or not.” Yet they have the nerve to say, “You need to take control of your own life.“
- Biblically, being a Dad or Mom is a serious commitment, and one that should be entered into only within the bond of marriage.
- To speak of becoming a “Dad” without speaking of marriage first, is encouraging irresponsibility and neglect of the child.
- A child born into a situation without a marriage commitment between their parents is at a disadvantage, in many ways. – one of the greatest being the poor and ungodly example set by their own parents.
In my mind’s eye, here’s what the billboard should say if it were speaking the truth:
Romans 12:1-2 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.