The best or worst or slightly interesting of the web over the last week (from my humble perspective)
- The issue of “sexting” is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to kids and the impact that sexuality is having on them. But the issue of sexting is very alarming nevertheless. I read an article recently (very long, but very insightful) covering the phenomena. It is amazing what is really happening (not in a good way). If you want to know more, I’ll have an episode of my podcast dedicated to this publishing next week (The link won’t work until Feb. 13, 2013). But the main issue is not getting rid of porn – the main issue is parents learning to engage with their kids and lead them to Christ at an early age… Christ is the only one who can prevent this kind of junk.
- I’m learning more day by day recently what it means to walk with the LORD within the responsibilities of life. I’m so prone to “escape” responsibility with some kind of distraction, a feel-good activity to encourage me to keep going. My friend Loren wrote this post, which hits the issue from a different angle – sometimes prayer is just procrastination.
- I think all of us, man or woman, struggles with lust at least on some level. Whether it’s the kind based in overt sensuality, or the kind based in a desire to have others notice us, lust is with us all. This past week I found a post going back to some old Puritans on the topic, and it’s practical and powerful stuff.
- Just last week many of us enjoyed the entertainment of the Super Bowl… it was an amazing game, no matter who you were rooting for! But, as has been the case for the last 6 to 10 years the commercials are becoming increasingly salacious… you could call it the soft-porn-super bowl and not be far off. This post is long, but well worth the read. It nails the issue of how we view women in our culture, and how events like the Super Bowl are prime examples. My question is, what do we do about it? I have my ideas, and I’d love to interact with you about them, and yours, in the comments below.
- One of my thoughts lately goes like this… God has placed you… * HERE not THERE * NOW not THEN * as YOU not THEM – So doesn’t it compute that He’s got a special purpose and design for YOU, HERE NOW?